Our 8 techniques
The eight proposed reforms in this report can reduce time offered in various means:
- A few approaches to make individuals qualified to receive launch on parole sooner.
- One good way to ensure it is much more likely that the parole board will accept conditional launch on parole.
- A few how to reduce enough time that have to be offered, irrespective of sentencing and parole choices.
- One way that is simple make sure that individuals are perhaps maybe not gone back to jail.
Needless to say, states differ in lots of ways, many critically in exactly just exactly how they structure parole eligibility (see sidebar above), and policymakers looking over this report should anticipate tailoring our suggested reforms for their state systems. All the reforms set down in this report could possibly be effective in addition to the other people. But, we encourage states to make use of as much for the after tools possible to reduce extortionate sentences:
- Presumptive parole ?
- Second-look sentencing ?
- Granting of good time ?
- Universal parole eligibility after fifteen years ?
- Retroactive application of sentence reduction reforms?
- Elimination of parole revocations for technical violations ?
- Compassionate release ?
- Commutation ?
Presumptive parole is a method for which individuals that are incarcerated released upon very first becoming eligible for parole unless the parole board discovers explicit reasons why you should perhaps perhaps not launch them. This method flips the parole that is current on its mind, making sure that launch on parole is the expected result, in place of the one that must be argued for. An incarcerated person who meets certain preset conditions will automatically be released at a predetermined date under this framework.